Monday, June 9, 2008

Start with Apple stuff

Okay. I'm fairly new to blogging in general, so bear with me if I forget to update for a while... Yeah, I'm sure that's a great line to start out with.

Anyway, I'm going to use this blog for my thoughts on random things that I see or hear about. Things ranging from music, to movies, to video games, role-playing games and just tech in general. I know it's a pretty broad range of things, but whatever. it's my blog, and I'll run it how I wanna.

So, the first thing that I wanna talk about is Today's (or yesterday's, rather, by the time this gets up) Steve Jobs keynote at World Wide Developers Conference. If you've heard anything about the new 3G iPhone, then you know at least a bit about it. Apparently news about the iPhone travels fast.

However, what really got me excited was the apps that were shown that are being developed for the iPhone. The first one that made me actually say to my computer screen while watching it was the Associated Press. The app will allow you to view stories in any category or market. What's really amazing to me, though, is the idea that it will find your current location, and give you local news stories from the area. Now, it's no real secret that I think local news is quite boring most of the time, but I think that's a pretty cool idea. Imagine driving cross-country and being able to find stories from about the area your hotel is in without having to search for it, that's pretty nifty. It also has a feature to submit a photo, or news tip straight to AP, which is cool to journalists like myself (note: I am a journalism major, not just a simple "citizen journalist").

Moving away from the iPhone (I'm sure it gets plenty of press elsewhere, and I don't wanna bore you with my fanboy-ish ranting for a device I cannot afford, even with an extremely lowered price), Jobs also announced the rumored revamping of .Mac. As a .Mac subscriber, it intrigued me especially. I've taken to recently adding things I need to do (class deadlines and such) to my Google Calendar simply because it was viewable on any computer. Now, that's not necessary. With the new MobileMe, I can use iCal, and view it on the web on any computer I need to. It will be especially helpful at school, when I work on so many computers in classrooms and whatnot. It'll also make it easier to share anything with anybody, be it a document, or a photo album.

I can't wait for MobileMe to be released so I can actually get something useful out of my .Mac. I also await the day I can actually afford to have an iPhone, even with lower price, I can't really afford my own cell phone plan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

another tech maven in the making

keep it up, reach for the sky!

;)